Raheem Sterling bagged another dramatic late winner to extend Manchester City‘s winning run with a 2-1 triumph over Southampton on Wednesday.

It marked the third straight game in which Sterling made the difference with a late goal, after scoring in the 88th minute to beat Feyenoord in the Champions League last week and netting an 84th-minute strike to beat Huddersfield on Sunday.

With Gabriel Jesus and Sergio Aguero paired together up front, City struggled to connect for long stretches in the first half, with a rash of misplaced passes characterising their play.

But they were immediately on the scoresheet 77 seconds after break. From a set piece, Kevin De Bruyne’s whipped-in cross touched off the shin of defender Virgil van Dijk before beating Fraser Forster at the near post.

 But Southampton struck back through Oriol Romeu — the former Barcelona midfielder stabbing home to equalise in the 75th minute.

And just as it seemed City would drop points for only the second time this season, Sterling stepped up to be City’s hero once more by curling in a shot from just outside the box.

Wayne Rooney completed a hat trick with an incredible strike from inside his own half to lead Everton to a 4-0 win over West Ham.

Rooney had already scored twice in the first half when Hammers goalkeeper Joe Hart cleared the ball away to midfield, where it fell to Rooney to belt home a drive to record his first Premier League hat trick since 2011.

The former Manchester United man started the night by seeing a penalty saved, but he was able to head home the rebound to put Everton ahead.

He added a second goal 10 minutes later, and soon after Manuel Lanzini missed a chance from the penalty spot to draw West Ham back in the game, Rooney scored his third.

Ashley Williams added a fourth in the 78th minute as Everton earned a much-needed win ahead of their likely hire of new manager Sam Allardyce.

Antonio Rudiger scored the only goal and Chelsea held on to beat Swansea 1-0 after Antonio Conte was sent to the stands.

Conte was sent to the stands for arguing with the fourth official near the end of the first half, and then when his place in the seats was deemed insufficient, was instructed to head down the tunnel as well.

Rudiger, starting after Cesar Azpilicueta was rested for the first time in the league in nearly two years, scored his first career Premier League goal in the 55th minute as Chelsea remained in third place.

Following a corner, N’Golo Kante unleashed a strike from distance that struck Wilfried Bony and came to Rudiger, who headed home.

Alexandre Lacazette scored in the third minute to put Arsenal on their way to a 5-0 win over Huddersfield Town.

Aaron Ramsey played Lacazette in on goal with a back-heeled flick, and the Frenchman made no mistake in beating goalkeeper Jonas Lossl.

Arsenal then scored three goals in a five-minute span in the second half to put the game beyond doubt.

Olivier Giroud, denied earlier by the post, recovered nine minutes later to score Arsenal’s second following a one-two between Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez, the latter of whom scored himself from a volley two minutes later.

And it wasn’t long before Ozil got in the action by lobbing Lossl, before Giroud got his brace with three minutes to play as the Gunners maintained their spot fourth in the table.

Sadio Mane scored before Mohamed Salah came off the bench to add a brace as Liverpool moved up to fifth with a 3-0 win at Stoke City.

Burnley kept up their fine start to the season by winning 2-1 away to Bournemouth, taking the Clarets past Tottenham into sixth.

Chris Wood opened the scoring the 37th minute by reacting quickly to put home a rebound after Robert Brady’s cross took a deflection, and Brady got on the scoresheet himself in the second half with a powerful shot from 20 yards.

Joshua King put home a rebound in the 79th minute to pull the Cherries back in the game, but there was to be no equaliser.

Facebook Comments