Crystal Palace have announced that they have sacked manager Frank de Boer, with reports suggesting that Roy Hodgson is set to take over.
De Boer had received the backing of Palace chairman Steve Parish on Sunday after suffering a fourth consecutive defeat to start the Premier League season but the club confirmed his departure in a statement on Monday.
“Crystal Palace Football Club have this morning parted company with Frank de Boer,” the statement read. “We would like to thank Frank for his dedication and hard work during his time at the Club.
“A new manager will be appointed in due course and we wish Frank the very best of luck for the future.
“There will be no further comment at this time.”
The BBC and Sky Sports News both reported that Hodgson had been identified as his successor and a source close to the former England boss subsequently told ESPN FC he is due to sign a two-year deal.
Parish urged everyone at the club to “stick together” despite the team’s poor start to the Premier League season and increasing speculation about De Boer’s position.
The former Ajax and Inter Milan boss, who signed a three-year contract when he was appointed in June, has overseen four defeats in as many games without scoring a goal since taking over at Selhurst Park in the summer, the worst start in Premier League history.
Following the defeat at Turf Moor, De Boer said: “I am just focusing on what I can control and so are my staff and my players. [The future] is for other people to decide but while I’m the manager of Crystal Palace I will give 100 percent.”
Palace were unfortunate to leave Lancashire with nothing after a series of missed chances, including those falling to Christian Benteke and Scott Dann late on.
De Boer added: “We have to reward ourselves and we didn’t do that today. I am disappointed about the result but I am not disappointed about how we played.”